Tuesday, July 14, 2009

YA newbie

So College for Witches is my first attempt at writing something for Young Adults. And I'm pretty sure it's going to be my last.

There's a couple reasons for this. One of them is that I'm afraid that my main character doesn't act her age. All of the characters I've written before have always been in there 20s at least. She's 18, which is actually the same age as me. I would think that I wouldn't have trouble writing someone the same age but it's proving difficult. I don't want to dumb down the character or the story because I know that the readers would be able to tell and resent it. It also wouldn't be true to the character.

It's really hard to put my fears into words without sounding conceited. I don't think I'm better or smarter than anyone my age or anything. I'm just scared my words don't fit with a young adult person.

Another worry I have is with the sex scene I blogged about before. Now I'm fully aware that teens (since I'm still a teen myself) have sex. But again, I'm afraid that the scene I wrote doesn't fit with what is expected in YA. That's it's too put together and more experienced then most teen aged sex. Make sense?

I'm probably being stupid and not giving YA enough credit. It's just nice to be able to put my worries into words. Makes them seem a lot more manageable.

Thanks for listening to my insane ramblings all!

Here to make it up to you:

Mr. James McAvoy.


"Why yes. I do know I'm the sexiest man alive."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmm...James McAvoy
You are forgiven..

x
Amna (Geekpride on AW)

 
Absolute Write
AW Bloggers Unite!
AW Bloggers Unite!